Persons who have reached the retirement age* or who have lost 60% or more of their capacity for work and who do not have insured income received in the course of scientific work at state institutions of science and studies of the Republic of Lithuania or in the course of scientific programmes financed from the state budget may submit an application for the awarding of a scientist’s pension.
* Since 2012, the retirement age has been raised annually to reach the same age limit of 65 for both women and men by 2026. In 2021, the retirement age is 63 years 4 months for women and 64 years 2 months for men.
For the grant of scientist’s pension, it is possible to apply to the "Sodra" for a maximum of 3 months before reaching the age of retirement pension or you have lost 60% or more work incapacity.
- You are a permanent resident in the Republic of Lithuania;
- You have been awarded or nostrified of scientific degree or a pedagogical scientific degree;
- You are at retirement age or are recognized as incapacitated or partially capacitated for work, having lost 60% and more work capacity (recognized as invalids of the I or II group before 1 July 2005);
- You have at least 10 years of doctoral or habilitated doctorate experience. The length of service of a doctor consists of the time of a person's scientific work in state research and study institutions of the Republic of Lithuania from the date of awarding a doctoral degree, and the length of time of a habilitated doctor from the date of awarding a habilitated doctor's degree;
- You have stopped working in the state research and study institutions of the Republic of Lithuania or in the implementation of research programs financed from the state budget.
If, after the awarding of the state pension of scientists, a person acquires at least one additional year of the length of service calculated for awarding the state pension of scientists, upon the person's request, upon the termination of his research work, the state pension of scientists shall be reawarded.
Documents you must submit for re-awarding a state pension for scientists:
- Application for a state pension for scientists. This can be done by:
- Online, by signing in to a personal "Sodra" account for a resident and selecting an Application for a state pension for scientists.
- By post, the application form may be downloaded here (a copy of the identity document certified in accordance with the procedure laid down by legal acts must be attached to the application).
- When you arrive at the "Sodra" department.
- Certificate (s) issued by the state institution (s) of science and studies on the length of service acquired after the award of the state pension to scientists.
- If a person has a newly awarded or nostrified scientific degree or pedagogical scientific title after the award of a state pension for scientists, a document on the newly awarded scientific degree or pedagogical scientific title must be submitted in addition.
- If the person does not have the opportunity to submit the originals of the said documents or their certified copies in accordance with the procedure established by legal acts, this must be indicated in the application.
- An Application for a scientist’s pension.
- Identity card.
- Document certifying a degree (or nostrificated) scientific degree or a pedagogical scientific degree granted to a person or in accordance with the procedure established by law.
- Documents proving the person's scientific work experience.
- Personal account details.
An application for a state pension for scientists may be submitted:
- Online, by signing in to your personal "Sodra" account for resident and choosing Application for a state pension for scientists, GPN9.
- By post. An application can be download here (a copy of personal ID document, certified as per the requirements, must be attached to the letter).
- At any "Sodra" department.
Upon arrival, the application will be filled in and submitted to you by the employee. You need to have:
- Identity card (passport or ID card of a citizen of the Republic of Lithuania or a Member State of the European Union, a passport of the Republic of Lithuania or a permanent residence permit in the Republic of Lithuania, temporary residence permit in the Republic of Lithuania).
- Documents proving the person's scientific work record.
- A document on the degree of scientific degree (or pedagogical scientific title) recognized by the person (nostrificated) granted to a person or established by law.
- You also need to know the details of the personal account to which the pension will be transferred.
Documents certifying the scientific work experience at the Ministry of Education and Sport for the period of scientific work for retirement if:
- You were a political prisoner or deportee and you have worked in the state institutions of science and studies of the Union and Republican subordination of the Soviet Union and you have citizenship of the Republic of Lithuania.
- You have funded science programs from the state budget.
Number of years of research work experience (sum of years of doctoral experience and years of habilitated doctoral experience) x 10 percent x State pension base + Number of habilitated doctoral years x 5 percent x State pension base.
State pension base - 59.35 Eur.
- A decision on the grant of a pension must be taken no later than within 30 calendar days from the date of receipt of the application with all necessary documents or receipt of additional documents in the "Sodra" department.
- A scientist’s pension may be granted and paid from the time when the right to receive it is acquired, but not more than 6 months prior to the receipt of the application with all the necessary documents in the "Sodra" department.
- The scientist’s pension is paid in the manner that you choose, i.e. y can be paid to a personal account, delivered to home or withdrawn at a payment institution, for example: AB "Lietuvos paštas" branch.
- You can choose the method of delivery of your pension in accordance with the rules set out in the Description of the Procedure for the Payment of Pensions and Compensation.
Payment of pension to personal accounts in banks or credit unions:
- on 7–12 days of every month, pensions that were first granted until 29 February 2012.
- on 20–26 days of every month, pensions that were first granted after 29 February 2012 and those that were paid on 27-28 days in December 2011 or in September 2012.
All persons can receive a pension to home if:
- they received a pension to home in December 2009;
- have lost 75–100% capacity for work (disabled persons in Group I) or for whom there is a special need for permanent nursing, a special need for continuous care (assistance) or a high level of special needs if he receives reimbursement of transport costs;
- live in areas where there is no possibility to pay benefits in another way;
- are aged 80 or over;
- the pension is delivered to your home on 10–26 days of every month.
The payment of a pension in the payment institution can be chosen in cases where:
- there is no possibility to cash out the benefit if it was paid to your personal account;
- meet the conditions for receiving a benefit to home;
- the pension is paid to payment institutions on the 10–26 of every month.
If the day of payment of the pension is the same day as a holiday, it will be paid on Friday. If the day of payment of the pension coincides with the holiday day - Sunday, it will be paid on Monday. If the day of payment of the pension coincides with the official day of the holiday, it is paid on the working day before the day of that holiday. If the established day of payment of the pension is the last working day of the month, it is paid on the preceding working day.
- If you have been granted and paid a scientist’s pension, but you have been employed or signed a copyright agreement, on scientific work at state institutions of science and studies of the Republic of Lithuania, you must inform the "Sodra" department within 10 working days. The payment of a scietist’s pension in such a case shall be terminated from the date on which you have this type of income.
- When a person no longer has the insured income, the payment of the pension is renewed from the day, following the day on which the person ceased to perform scientific work (in this case you do not have to fill in an application).
- Upon the death of the recipient of the pension, the persons who buried him shall be paid a pension for the month of death, if it has not yet been paid, and another monthly benefit.
Upon obtaining additional academic work experience, the previously granted scientist’s pension is not recalculated.
After the death of the beneficiary of the pension, the pension will be paid to the persons who buried him, if it has not yet been paid and the pension for one more month.
- At any “Sodra’s“ department;
- Sign in to your personal “Sodra” resident’s account and submit a request to receive a pension recipient’s certificate, GPN14.
- your passport or another ID;
- a photo that meets the requirements for IDs, in a digital medium or “Sodra” may use your photo from the Population Register Service (if you received / changed your identity document in 2007 or later);
- a request to receive a pension recipient’s certificate.
- The completed certificate shall be issued or sent no later than within 20 business days from the date of the decision to grant a pension.
- When changing the certificate, it is issued no later than within 20 business days from the day of submitting the application to the “Sodra” department.