You may receive a retirement pension if:
1. You have reached the retirement age. You can check it by:
2. You have a minimum period of 15 years of social pension insurance. You can check it by:
- Logging into your personal "Sodra" account for a resident and formed a summary Rep. 02 "Information on the length of pension social insurance".
If you have formed a summary “Rep.02 Information on the length of pension social insurance” and have noted that not full information about the length of service you have acquired for the pension is provided, you probably have not submitted to “Sodra” documents proving the length of service you acquired before 1994.
Please note that “Sodra” has accumulated data about your workplaces, the time you have worked there and the salary received since 1994. Therefore, if you worked until 1994 and until now you have not submitted to “Sodra” documents proving your pre-1994 length of service you have acquired, you can do so by coming to the nearest “Sodra” department at any time convenient to you.
Documents you have to provide:
- identity document;
- work book;
- state social insurance certificate;
- military tickets (if military service has been performed);
- certificates of length of service;
- collective farm documents, etc.
In order to receive a “full” pension, you must have minimum length of service. It is 32years old in 2021.
|Year||Minimum length of service (years)|
- Please come to the nearest "Sodra" department at the time of your convenience and submit the documents that certify the work experience gained until 31 December 1993.
- When you reach the retirement age, you will only have to submit a request to receive the retirement pension.
You should contact "Sodra" regarding the assignment of retirement pension when you are three or fewer months away from your retirement age or at any time thereafter.
If you contacted us after you became retired, you will receive the retirement pension for the past period no longer than 6 months before the date when your request along with all the documents and data necessary to assign a pension were received at "Sodra’s" department.
For example, you reached the retirement age in March 2021 but contacted us regarding the retirement pension only in November 2021. The retirement pension will be paid to you for the period as of May 2021.
- A request to receive the retirement pension.
- A passport or ID card (or a permit to reside in Lithuania).
- Also the following, if not submitted already:
- documents certifying the work experience gained until 31 December 1993 (employment record book, statements of work experience issued by former employers or archives, etc.);
- military certificate (if you completed military service until 31 December 1994);
- marriage or divorce certificate (in case the last name was changed and differs from the last name indicated in the documents certifying the work experience).
The retirement pension is calculated taking into account all your income received as of 1 January 1994.
If you live in foreign, all related and relevant information you will find here.
An application to receive a retirement or lost work capacity pension can be submitted:
- Online, by signing in to your personal "Sodra" account for resident and choosing Application to receive a retirement or lost work capacity pension, GPN1.
- By post. An application can be download here (a copy of personal ID document, certified as per the requirements, must be attached to the letter).
- At any "Sodra" department.
You need to have an ID and know details of your account to which the pension will be paid.
The amount of pension depends on your acquired work experience, the number of accounting units, the value of an accounting unit and basic pension as approved by the State Social Insurance Fund’s Council.
Calculation of the accounting units:
- 12 average monthly salaries (AMS) per year = 1 accounting unit.
- The maximum number of accounting units per year is 5 (60 AMS).
Every year as of 1 January the value of the basic pension and accounting unit will be indexed (adjusted) according to the coefficient calculated and approved in the previous year.
If, after the pension is awarded, you work or engage in other activities for which you will pay pension social security contributions to “Sodra”, then from 1 January of each calendar year, as of 2019, the amount of the retirement pension will be updated annually, taking into account the length of service and number of units of account acquired by you in the previous calendar year.
The new amount of the retirement pension shall be calculated and the retirement pension of a new amount shall be paid no later than July of the relevant calendar year. Together with a new amount of retirement pension, you will be paid the difference in the amount of retirement pensions that has arisen since 1 January of the calendar year.
In order to have your pension updated, you do not need to submit a separate request to "Sodra" - this will be done automatically.
Important. Social insurance old age pension recipients will have a right for a pension increase, if the sum of their received pensions and pension benefits is lower than 100% of the minimum size of consumption needs, calculated by the Republic of Lithuania (in 2022 - 267 Euro). This pension increase will be appointed to the client without a separate request.
If you also receive a foreign pension, you must provide data on the amount of the foreign public pension if you consider the monthly amount of receiving pension benefits and pensions to be less than EUR 267 per month.
The premium shall be granted and paid from the date when entitlement to the pension premium is granted up to a maximum of 6 months from the date of submission of the data on the amount of the foreign pension.
Please note that you will be required to submit data (certificate) on the amount of pension granted by a foreign country on a quarterly basis.
The original of the certificate must be delivered from the foreign competent body to the ‘Sodra’.
Who can receive the pension supplement?
The persons can receive the pension supplement if they are recipients of the social insurance old-age pension, recipients of the social insurance disability pension who have lost 60 per cent or more of their capacity to work or the persons who reached the age for old-age pension being recipients of the social insurance disability pension who have lost 45-55 per cent of their capacity to work upon condition that the sum of all social insurance pensions, compensations for special working conditions, state pensions, and foreign pensions paid in the month is less than 100% of the Minimum Consumption Rate (hereinafter – MCR).
Is it necessary to submit an application for the pension supplement?
The pension supplement is calculated and paid without a separate application of the person.
What incomes are calculated granting the pension supplement?
The right to the supplement is determined by the sum of all social insurance pensions, compensations for special working conditions, state pensions, and foreign pensions paid in the month for which the supplement is calculated.
Is the pension supplement granted to those who are working?
For a purpose of the pension supplement granting, the person's insured income is not calculated so the person can work and receive the pension supplement if the sum of his/her pensions is less than 100% of the Minimum Consumption Rate (MCR).
Is the pension supplement granted to those receiving the pension from Lithuania but living abroad?
The pension supplement is granted and paid to the pension recipients who have declared their place of residence in Lithuania or are listed as persons who have not declared their place of residence.
What is the amount of the pension supplement?
If a person has acquired the necessary length of service, the full difference between 100% of MCR, which is 260 EUR as approved in 2021, and pension (sum of pensions) received is paid. If a person has acquired the minimum length of service but has not acquired the necessary length of service, the proportion of the pension supplement is reduced proportionately.
Calculation of the pension supplements
- For those recipients whose pension is calculated by the acquired necessary length of service, the pension supplement is calculated attaining accuracy of the euro cent according to the formula PS = 1 × MCR – P where:
PD – amount of the pension supplement;
MCR – the minimum consumption rate in force in the month for which the pension supplement is paid;
P – sum of all pensions paid to a person.
- For those recipients whose pension is calculated under the precondition that the necessary length of service is not acquired, the pension supplement is calculated attaining accuracy of the euro cent according to the formula PS = (1 × MCR – P) × (L/NL) where:
PD – amount of the pension supplement;
MCR – the minimum consumption rate in force in the month for which the pension supplement is paid;
L – length of the pension social insurance acquired by the person by which the social insurance old age pension or social insurance disability pension is calculated;
NL – necessary length of the pension social insurance required for the person to be illegible for the social insurance old age pension or social insurance disability pension (invalidity pension by 1st July 2005), which one of the pensions is relevant;
P – sum of all pensions paid to a person.
Is it necessary to submit a certificate to receive a pension supplement if a person receives the pension from a foreign state?
Yes. The right of a person to receive a pension supplement is determined by the data provided by the pension recipient on the amount of the pension granted in the foreign state. The supplement would be calculated and paid from the date of the entitlement to the pension supplement but not more than 6 months from the date of submission of the data on the amount of the foreign pension granted. The pension recipient should submit to "Sodra" quarterly data on the amount of the pension granted by the foreign state.
The certificate is not required if a person receives a pension from Belarus, Ukraine or Moldova.
Is it necessary to translate a certificate on the amount of a pension granted in a foreign state if a person receives the pension from a foreign state?
There is no need to translate certificates issued by the EU or EEA countries, however, the documents issued by institutions of the other states must be translated into Lithuanian and legalized or approved by a an Apostille according with the procedure established by legal acts.
Can a person submit a negative decision in order to have calculated the pension supplement if a person acquired the service length in a foreign country but does not receive a pension?
If the decision is issued in 2018 or later and the exact date on which the person reaches retirement age in a foreign state is specified in the decision, the negative decision taken by a foreign competent institution is appropriate, and the certificate is not needed.
If a person has been in a foreign country for less than 1 year, does he / she the amount of the (non-received) pension received?
Does a person have to submit a certificate on the amount of the pension received/non-received if the person acquired less than 1 year service length in the foreign state?
If a person acquired less than 1 year service length in the foreign state, the pension supplement should be granted. In such a case, the person should submit a free-form notification to "Sodra" and indicate whether the person worked/did not work in a foreign state in the subsequent periods, thus acquiring any additional length of service. Once the needed information is received, the decision will be taken regarding the granting of supplement.
Is the pension supplement granted to persons receiving a temporary benefit?
The pension supplement is not granted and paid to persons receiving a temporary benefit.
Is the pension supplement granted to persons receiving an early retirement pension?
The pension supplement is not granted and paid to persons receiving an early retirement pension.
Is the pension supplement granted to persons who have reached the age of retirement, and who had received an early retirement pension?
Yes, the pension supplement can be paid to persons if they are recipients of the old-age pension, recipients of the disability pension who have lost 60 per cent or more of their capacity to work or the persons who reached the age for old-age pension being recipients of the disability pension who have lost 45-55 per cent of their capacity to work, regardless that they had been granted/received an early retirement pension.
For what month is the pension supplement paid?
The pension supplement is calculated and paid for the previous month.
Is any retrieval from the pension supplement possible?
There is no retrieval (recovery) from the pension supplement executed under the enforcement documents.
Can the part of the pension supplement along with the pension be transferred to the account of the care institution?
Up to 80 per cent of the pension together with the pension supplement received may be transferred to the care institution's current account for the care services. The remaining amount of the pension and pension supplement, which is at least 20 per cent of the pension, is paid to the pensioner, the authorized person or legal guardian.
What may the circumstances under which the pension supplement is not granted (suspended)?
The pension supplement is not granted, and its payment is suspended for the persons:
- Under detention as a result of adoption of preventive measure;
- For prisoners at the penitentiary detention facilities except for the open colonies and special units of penitentiary or pre-trial detention centres (the houses for reincorporation of the persons under detention);
- Allocated to the established general, reinforced or rigorous monitoring units of inpatient medical surveillance at the specialized mental health care facilities or supervised at the special educational institutions as provided by the Lithuanian Criminal Code.
Payment of the pension supplement is suspended from the first day of the month following the month in which the mentioned circumstances occurred.
Payment of the pension supplement is resumed (if the entitlement remains) from the first day of the month following the month in which the mentioned circumstances disappeared.
Is the pension supplement paid after the death of the pensioner?
Upon the death of the pension supplement recipient, the person who took responsibilities of the funeral arranging is paid the pension supplement for the month in which the death occurred plus the same amount (one-month pension supplement).
The amount of the pension supplement calculated before the month of death, which was due but not paid to the recipient of the pension supplement, is paid to the heirs who have submitted the application and the inheritance documents.
If you have worked or engaged of another activity in 2021, for which you have paid pension social insurance contributions to "Sodra", then the pension will be recalculated (Updated), estimating the extra length of seniority acquired during the previous calendar year and the number of units of account.
No request is required in order for the pension to be recalculated. The pension will be recalculated on the basis of the public social insurance cover of the insured and the register of the recipients of the public social insurance benefits.
The decision on the recalculation of the pension (updating) will be able to view by joining a personal "Sodra" account for a resident and choosing section "My payments".
The recalculated pension is planned to be paid in July of 2022.
This will be done every year.
You will be assigned a pension within 30 calendar days from when the request and (or) all the necessary documents and data are received.
However, if you are still working, the retirement pension will only be awarded upon receipt of the employer's data on your income prior to the month of awarding the retirement pension. This data is provided by the employer to "Sodra" every month (before 15th of the month) for the previous month.
The retirement pension is paid for the current month.
The retirement pension may be:
- Transferred to your personal account.
- Delivered at your home between the 10th and 26th day of each month, if:
- you received your pension at home in December 2009;
- you lost 75–100% capacity for work or you have a special need for permanent nursing, special need for regular care (assistance), special need for the compensation of transport expenses, or a high level of special needs;
- you live in areas where you do not have the ability to cash out;
- you are 80 years old or older.
- Collected at a post or PayPost office between the 10th and 26th day of each month, when:
- it is not possible to cash out the benefit from your personal account;
- you meet the conditions for receiving the benefit at home.
The information above presents only the most important provisions of the Law on Social Insurance Pensions regarding the assignment of retirement pensions. In your particular case, other conditions that are not mentioned here may be important as well.
- At any “Sodra’s“ department;
- Sign in to your personal “Sodra” resident’s account and submit a request to receive a pension recipient’s certificate, GPN14.
- your passport or another ID;
- a photo that meets the requirements for IDs, in a digital medium or “Sodra” may use your photo from the Population Register (if you received / changed your identity document in 2007 or later);
- a request to receive a pension recipient’s certificate.
- The completed certificate shall be issued or sent no later than within 20 business days from the date of the decision to grant a pension.
- When changing the certificate, it is issued no later than within 20 business days from the day of submitting the application to the “Sodra” department.