You are eligible for retirement pension when:
- you have reached the retirement age;
- you have accumulated the minimum work experience of 15 years required to receive the pension social insurance.
You can find out how much work experience you have accumulated by signing in to your personal Sodra resident’s account and generating the summary "Rep.02 Information on work experience for the retirement pension social insurance".
As of 2012, the retirement age has been and will be increased every year until it reaches the equal level of 65 years for both women and men in 2026.
|Year||Minimum length of service (years)|
- Please come to the nearest "Sodra" department at the time of your convenience and submit the documents that certify the work experience gained until 31 December 1993.
- When you reach the retirement age, you will only have to submit a request to receive the retirement pension.
You should contact "Sodra" regarding the assignment of retirement pension when you are three or fewer months away from your retirement age or at any time thereafter.
If you contacted us after you became retired, you will receive the retirement pension for the past period no longer than 6 months before the date when your request along with all the documents and data necessary to assign a pension were received at "Sodra’s" department.
For example, you reached the retirement age in June 2019 but contacted us regarding the retirement pension only in February 2020. The retirement pension will be paid to you for the period as of August 2019.
- A request to receive the retirement pension.
- A passport or ID card (or a permit to reside in Lithuania).
- Also the following, if not submitted already:
- documents certifying the work experience gained until 31 December 1993 (employment record book, statements of work experience issued by former employers or archives, etc.);
- military certificate (if you completed military service until 31 December 1994);
- marriage or divorce certificate (in case the last name was changed and differs from the last name indicated in the documents certifying the work experience).
The retirement pension is calculated taking into account all your income received as of 1 January 1994.
A request to receive a pension can be submitted:
- Online, by signing in to your personal Sodra resident’s account.
- By e-mail.
- At any Sodra’s department.
A copy of personal ID document, certified as per the requirements, must be attached to the letter.
The request can be filled on-site. You need to have an ID and details of your account to which the pension will be paid.
The amount of pension depends on your acquired work experience, the number of accounting units, the value of an accounting unit and basic pension as approved by the State Social Insurance Fund’s Council.
Calculation of the accounting units:
- 12 average monthly salaries (AMS) per year = 1 accounting unit.
- The maximum number of accounting units per year is 5 (60 AMS).
Every year as of 1 January the value of the basic pension and accounting unit will be indexed (adjusted) according to the coefficient calculated and approved in the previous year.
If you are employed or engaged in other activities as a result of which you will pay pension social insurance contributions to "Sodra" after having been assigned a pension, then every year on 1 July your pension will be updated, taking into account the additional work experience and number of accounting units acquired during the last calendar year.
In order to have your pension updated, you do not need to submit a separate request.
Important. Starting from 1 January 2020, social insurance old age pension recipients will have a right for a pension increase, if the sum of their received pensions and pension benefits is lower than 100% of the minimum size of consumption needs, calculated by the Republic of Lithuania (257 Euro). This pension increase will be appointed to the client without a separate request.
If you also receive a foreign pension, you must provide data on the amount of the foreign public pension from 2020/01/01 to 2020/03/31 if you consider the monthly amount of receiving pension benefits and pensions to be less than EUR 257 per month.
The premium shall be granted and paid from the date when entitlement to the pension premium is granted up to a maximum of 6 months from the date of submission of the data on the amount of the foreign pension.
Please note that you will be required to submit data (certificate) on the amount of pension granted by a foreign country on a quarterly basis.
The original of the certificate must be delivered from the foreign competent body to the ‘Sodra’.
List of Competent Bodies available here.
Who can receive the pension supplement?
The persons can receive the pension supplement if they are recipients of the social insurance old-age pension, recipients of the social insurance disability pension who have lost 60 per cent or more of their capacity to work or the persons who reached the age for old-age pension being recipients of the social insurance disability pension who have lost 45-55 per cent of their capacity to work upon condition that the sum of all social insurance pensions, compensations for special working conditions, state pensions, and foreign pensions paid in the month is less than 100% of the Minimum Consumption Rate (hereinafter – MCR).
Is it necessary to submit an application for the pension supplement?
The pension supplement is calculated and paid without a separate application of the person.
What incomes are calculated granting the pension supplement?
The right to the supplement is determined by the sum of all social insurance pensions, compensations for special working conditions, state pensions, and foreign pensions paid in the month for which the supplement is calculated.
Is the pension supplement granted to those who are working?
For a purpose of the pension supplement granting, the person's insured income is not calculated so the person can work and receive the pension supplement if the sum of his/her pensions is less than 100% of the Minimum Consumption Rate (MCR).
Is the pension supplement granted to those receiving the pension from Lithuania but living abroad?
The pension supplement is granted and paid to the pension recipients who have declared their place of residence in Lithuania or are listed as persons who have not declared their place of residence.
What is the amount of the pension supplement?
If a person has acquired the necessary length of service, the full difference between 100% of MCR, which is 257 EUR as approved in 2019, and pension (sum of pensions) received is paid. If a person has acquired the minimum length of service but has not acquired the necessary length of service, the proportion of the pension supplement is reduced proportionately.
Calculation of the pension supplements
- For those recipients whose pension is calculated by the acquired necessary length of service, the pension supplement is calculated attaining accuracy of the euro cent according to the formula PS = 1 × MCR – P where:
PD – amount of the pension supplement;
MCR – the minimum consumption rate in force in the month for which the pension supplement is paid;
P – sum of all pensions paid to a person.
- For those recipients whose pension is calculated under the precondition that the necessary length of service is not acquired, the pension supplement is calculated attaining accuracy of the euro cent according to the formula PS = (1 × MCR – P) × (L/NL) where:
PD – amount of the pension supplement;
MCR – the minimum consumption rate in force in the month for which the pension supplement is paid;
L – length of the pension social insurance acquired by the person by which the social insurance old age pension or social insurance disability pension is calculated;
NL – necessary length of the pension social insurance required for the person to be illegible for the social insurance old age pension or social insurance disability pension (invalidity pension by 1st July 2005), which one of the pensions is relevant;
P – sum of all pensions paid to a person.
Is it necessary to submit a certificate to receive a pension supplement if a person receives the pension from a foreign state?
Yes. The right of a person to receive a pension supplement is determined by the data provided by the pension recipient on the amount of the pension granted in the foreign state. The supplement would be calculated and paid from the date of the entitlement to the pension supplement but not more than 6 months from the date of submission of the data on the amount of the foreign pension granted. The pension recipient should submit to "Sodra" quarterly data on the amount of the pension granted by the foreign state.
The certificate is not required if a person receives a pension from Belarus, Ukraine or Moldova.
Is it necessary to translate a certificate on the amount of a pension granted in a foreign state if a person receives the pension from a foreign state?
There is no need to translate certificates issued by the EU or EEA countries, however, the documents issued by institutions of the other states must be translated into Lithuanian and legalized or approved by a an Apostille according with the procedure established by legal acts.
Can a person submit a negative decision in order to have calculated the pension supplement if a person acquired the service length in a foreign country but does not receive a pension?
If the decision is issued in 2018 or later and the exact date on which the person reaches retirement age in a foreign state is specified in the decision, the negative decision taken by a foreign competent institution is appropriate, and the certificate is not needed.
If a person has been in a foreign country for less than 1 year, does he / she the amount of the (non-received) pension received?
Does a person have to submit a certificate on the amount of the pension received/non-received if the person acquired less than 1 year service length in the foreign state?
If a person acquired less than 1 year service length in the foreign state, the pension supplement should be granted. In such a case, the person should submit a free-form notification to "Sodra" and indicate whether the person worked/did not work in a foreign state in the subsequent periods, thus acquiring any additional length of service. Once the needed information is received, the decision will be taken regarding the granting of supplement.
Is the pension supplement granted to persons receiving a temporary benefit?
The pension supplement is not granted and paid to persons receiving a temporary benefit.
Is the pension supplement granted to persons receiving an early retirement pension?
The pension supplement is not granted and paid to persons receiving an early retirement pension.
Is the pension supplement granted to persons who have reached the age of retirement, and who had received an early retirement pension?
Yes, the pension supplement can be paid to persons if they are recipients of the old-age pension, recipients of the disability pension who have lost 60 per cent or more of their capacity to work or the persons who reached the age for old-age pension being recipients of the disability pension who have lost 45-55 per cent of their capacity to work, regardless that they had been granted/received an early retirement pension.
For what month is the pension supplement paid?
The pension supplement is calculated and paid for the previous month.
Is any retrieval from the pension supplement possible?
There is no retrieval (recovery) from the pension supplement executed under the enforcement documents.
Can the part of the pension supplement along with the pension be transferred to the account of the care institution?
Up to 80 per cent of the pension together with the pension supplement received may be transferred to the care institution's current account for the care services. The remaining amount of the pension and pension supplement, which is at least 20 per cent of the pension, is paid to the pensioner, the authorized person or legal guardian.
What may the circumstances under which the pension supplement is not granted (suspended)?
The pension supplement is not granted, and its payment is suspended for the persons:
- Under detention as a result of adoption of preventive measure;
- For prisoners at the penitentiary detention facilities except for the open colonies and special units of penitentiary or pre-trial detention centres (the houses for reincorporation of the persons under detention);
- Allocated to the established general, reinforced or rigorous monitoring units of inpatient medical surveillance at the specialized mental health care facilities or supervised at the special educational institutions as provided by the Lithuanian Criminal Code.
Payment of the pension supplement is suspended from the first day of the month following the month in which the mentioned circumstances occurred.
Payment of the pension supplement is resumed (if the entitlement remains) from the first day of the month following the month in which the mentioned circumstances disappeared.
Is the pension supplement paid after the death of the pensioner?
Upon the death of the pension supplement recipient, the person who took responsibilities of the funeral arranging is paid the pension supplement for the month in which the death occurred plus the same amount (one-month pension supplement).
The amount of the pension supplement calculated before the month of death, which was due but not paid to the recipient of the pension supplement, is paid to the heirs who have submitted the application and the inheritance documents.
If you have worked or engaged of another activity in 2019, for which you have paid pension social insurance contributions to "Sodra", then the pension will be recalculated (Updated), estimating the extra length of seniority acquired during the previous calendar year and the number of units of account.
No request is required in order for the pension to be recalculated. The pension will be recalculated on the basis of the public social insurance cover of the insured and the register of the recipients of the public social insurance benefits.
The decision on the recalculation of the pension (updating) will be able to view at www.sodra.lt, by joining a personal "Sodra" account for a resident.
The recalculated pension is planned to be paid in July of 2020.
This will be done every year.
You will be assigned a pension within 30 calendar days from when the request and all the necessary documents and data are received.
The retirement pension is paid for the current month.
The retirement pension may be:
- Transferred to your personal account.
- Delivered at your home between the 10th and 26th day of each month, if:
- you received your pension at home in December 2009;
- you lost 75–100% capacity for work or you have a special need for permanent nursing, special need for regular care (assistance), special need for the compensation of transport expenses, or a high level of special needs;
- you live in areas where you do not have the ability to cash out;
- you are 80 years old or older.
- Collected at a post or PayPost office between the 10th and 26th day of each month, when:
- it is not possible to cash out the benefit from your personal account;
- you meet the conditions for receiving the benefit at home.
The information above presents only the most important provisions of the Law on Social Insurance Pensions regarding the assignment of retirement pensions. In your particular case, other conditions that are not mentioned here may be important as well.
A pension recipient’s certificate can be received at a "Sodra’s" department or it can be sent to you by mail.
You can submit a request to receive a pension recipient’s certificate:
- at any "Sodra’s" department;
- upon signing in to your personal Sodra resident’s account.
At a department, you will have to present:
- your passport or another ID;
- a photo that meets the requirements for IDs, in a digital medium (the requirements for the photo are indicated below and in the rules for issuing the certificate);
- a request to receive a pension recipient’s certificate.
A made certificate will be issued or sent to your home within 20 business days from the decision to assign a pension. When replacing the certificate, it will be issued within 20 business days from submitting the request at a "Sodra's" department.
Time to get a pensioner’s card?
Here is what you will need:
- A photo
- Which meets the requirements indicated in this leaflet. If you do not have one, you will have to go to a photo studio and show this leaflet to the photographer. Or "Sodra" can use your photo from the Residents’ Register Service (if you received/changed your ID in 2017 or later). Indicate in the request if you agree.
- To fill a request
- You have to fill the request in your personal "Sodra" resident’s account or at the nearest "Sodra" department. Do not forget to have a digital medium (CD or USB) with you with a photo saved therein, if you do not want to use the one from the Residents’ Register Service.
- To collect your card
- Once made, the card will be delivered to your home or you can collect it at the nearest "Sodra" department.
Information for photographer
The person should be photographed from the front, sitting straight in front of the camera and looking to the camera:
- shoulders at even height;
- head not turned and not tilted;
- natural face expression;
- hair must not cover the face;
- the person should be without any headwear;
- he/she should not wear any special-purpose clothing;
- persons who wear glasses all of the time should be photographed with them.
Requirements for the photo:
- 295 x 380 px
- Resolution 300 dpi
- JPG (JPEG) format
- In CD or USB