- If you are going to live abroad, you have to declare your departure from Lithuania.
- If you declare your departure from Lithuania but fail to notify "Sodra" about that, your pension payment will be terminated.
- If you are going to live permanently in another country and are a recipient of a retirement pension, lost working capacity, widow or orphan pension, state pension, a pension for the loss of primary carer, or a pension for the time served, you should notify "Sodra" about your departure within 10 days.
- The pension payment will be resumed upon submitting the request at a "Sodra’s" department. The request can be submitted as follows:
- Online, by signing in to your personal "Sodra" resident’s account.
- At "Sodra’s" department.
- Through a competent institution of your destination country.
- By mail. When sending a mail, you should attach a copy of your ID approved as per the procedure established in the laws.
- If you are going to live in Belarus, Moldova, Ukraine or Canada, you will have to apply for the resumption of your pension payment through the competent institutions of these countries.
- If you are going to live in Russia, the pension will be appointed and paid by Russia. If you do not have right to receive pension in Russia, Lithuania will resume your pension payment untill you will gain right to receive it in Russia.
- According to applicable legislation or international agreements, a pension can be transferred to your account in a foreign country as follows:
- To the EU, EEA countries and Switzerland– in euros.
- To the USA – in US dollars.
- To Canada – in Canadian dollars.
- The pension will be transferred to Belarus, Moldova, Ukraine and Russia through the competent institutions of these countries:
- Transfers to Belarus are made in Belarusian rubles.
- Transfers to Russia are made in Russian rubles.
- Transfers to Moldova are made in euros.
- Transfers to Ukraine are made in euros, while the competent institution of Ukraine makes payments in hryvnia.
- Transfers to the other countries will be made in euros.
The recipient shall not pay for the pension transfer expenses. The recipient shall pay for the expenses related to crediting of the benefits to his/her personal account in a foreign credit institution.
According to applicable legislation, the recipients living abroad may be paid:
- retirements pensions;
- lost working capacity pensions;
- widow and orphan pensions;
- state pensions;
- also the pensions for the loss of a primary carer or the time served, assigned until 1995.
If a recipient of advance pension, state pension for victims or for the widows and orphans of the victims, state scientist pension, compensations for work under special conditions, or compensations for transport expenses goes to permanently live abroad, he/she shall no longer receive the pension or compensation payments. The payment will be terminated as of the first day of the month following the month in which the person went to permanently live abroad. Upon submitting a request, these pensions and compensations may be paid for the next six months in the amount as they were calculated for the month of departure, and will no longer be paid thereafter.
The payment of an advance retirement pension may be extended only if the person goes to live in EU or EEA member state or Switzerland. In other cases the payment will be terminated as of the first day of the month following the month in which the person went to permanently live abroad.
For the futher information please contact us:
- (+370 5) 247 0472;
- (+370 5) 250 0883;
- e-mail: email@example.com .
- A request to continue to make pension payments, indicating the exact location of residence in the foreign country.
- A statement from a competent institution of the country of residence, certifying that the person was not assigned a pension in said country for the same work experience periods for which he/she receives a pension from Lithuania. Upon your request, such a statement may be obtained by "Sodra’s" Vilnius Office. If the documents are managed through a competent institution of the place of residence, these documents will be handled by that institution.
- Personal account details. The account can be of a credit institution operating in Lithuania or abroad. If you wish to receive your pension to an account in a foreign credit institution, please indicate how regularly you wish to receive payments (once a month, quarter, half a year or a year), including the name, address, international bank code (BIC) and an international IBAN account of the credit institution.
To resume pension payments, please submit:
- A request to resume pension payments. In the request, please indicate: first and last name, exact address of your residence in a foreign country, details of the personal bank account (if you wish to receive your pension to a foreign bank account, it is necessary to indicate the name, address, international bank code (BIC) and an international IBAN account of the credit institution), also confirm in writing that you do not receive a pension in another country for the work experience acquired in Lithuania.
- A statement from a competent institution of the country of residence, certifying that the person was not assigned a pension in said country for the same work experience periods for which he/she receives a pension from Lithuania. Upon your request, "Sodra’s" Vilnius Office can contact the competent institution of the foreign country regarding this statement. Please indicate this in your request.
Important! If you wish to continue to receive pension payments, during October–December of each year you will have to submit the following to "Sodra’s" Vilnius Office:
- a statement issued by a competent institution of a foreign state about the place of residence in that country or a confirmation of the diplomatic mission or the consular officer of the consular institution of the Republic of Lithuania, or a confirmation of a notary of the foreign country in which the person resides that he/she resides in that foreign country or that he/she is alive and lives in a certain area. This document must be issued not later than 1 October of that year.
If said document is not received on time, the pension payment will be suspended from 1 January of the next year. Upon submitting the missing document, the pension payment will be resumed from the date when its payment was suspended, if the pension recipient still had the right to receive this pension.
Usually, you will be paid the same amount of pension as was assigned in Lithuania. The recipient shall not pay for the pension transfer expenses.
If upon your departure to permanently live abroad your pension is transferred to the account of a foreign credit institution, you will have to pay for the expenses related to crediting of the benefits to your personal account in the foreign credit institution.
- A decision regarding the resumption of pension payment must be made within 30 calendar days from the date when a request with all the necessary or additional documents were received.
- The persons who declared their departure from Lithuania may receive their pension payments to the account of the bank operating in Lithuania or a foreign bank institution. If you wish to receive your pension to a foreign bank institution, it is necessary to indicate the credit institution’s name, address, international bank code (BIC) and an international IBAN account.
- The pension will be paid between the 10th and 26th day.
In order to extend their pension payments, until the end of each year the persons living abroad should send a statement that the person is alive and resides in a certain area. The statement can be issued by:
- The diplomatic mission or the consular officer of the consular institution of the Republic of Lithuania.
- A notary of the foreign country in which the person resides.
- A competent institution (local "Sodra") of the country in which the person resides.
The “Sodra” website (in the “Residents abroad” section) provides a three-language template of the recommended form of declaration that a person is alive and in a particular area (Life certificate). A filled statement can be certified by a notary, the consular officer of the Republic of Lithuania or the person can ask a competent institution (responsible for the assignment and payment of pensions) to certify it.
The document must be issued not earlier than 1 October of that year. If this document is not received on time, as of 1 January of the next year the pension payment will be suspended. Upon submitting the missing document, the pension payment will be resumed from the date when it was suspended.
- At any “Sodra’s“ department;
- Sign in to your personal “Sodra” resident’s account and submit a request to receive a pension recipient’s certificate, GPN14.
- your passport or another ID;
- a photo that meets the requirements for IDs, in a digital medium or “Sodra” may use your photo from the Population Register (if you received / changed your identity document in 2007 or later);
- a request to receive a pension recipient’s certificate.
- The completed certificate shall be issued or sent no later than within 20 business days from the date of the decision to grant a pension.
- When changing the certificate, it is issued no later than within 20 business days from the day of submitting the application to the “Sodra” department.