Social assistance compensation to parents (adoptive parents) who prior to 1 January 1995 nursed at home invalid children

The right to receive a benefit compensation is granted to parents (foster parents), who (prior to 1 January 1995) have nursed disabled children or children acknowledged as persons with I or II group disability from childhood, or the ones who received  I or II group disability prior to becoming 18 years of age.


A person does not have the right to receive larger or the same size pension or pension payout with the exception of a social insurance orphan’s pension.


The compensation size is – 1,5 benefit pension base size:

  1. 1 BPB – EUR 150 (in 2021 - EUR 143)
  2. 1,5 BPB – EUR 225 (in 2021 EUR 214,50).

Your benefit compensation will be appointed to you no later than in 10 working days from the receipt of the request and all needed documents.

Benefit compensation is paid for the last month.

Benefit compensation can be:

  1. Transferred to a personal account.
  2. Delivered to home on 10-26th day of each month, if:
    1. You have received your 2018 December pension at home.
    2. You have lost 75-100% of your working capacity or you are determined with special constant nursing needs, special constant supervision (help) needs, special transportation expense compensation needs or high special needs level.
    3. You live in areas where there is no possibility to cash-out money.
    4. You are 80 years of age or older.
  3. Collected at a post department on 10-26th days of each month, when:
    1. There is no possibility to cash-out the payout from your personal account.
    2. You comply with the requirements to receive the payout at home.


An application (in Lithuanian) for a social assistance benefit can be submitted:

  • Online, by logging in to the personal "Sodra" account for the resident and filling in the application for social assistance benefit (in Lithuanian).
  • By mail. The application must be accompanied by a copy of an identity document certified in accordance with the procedure established by legal acts.
  • Upon arrival at the "Sodra" branch (you can fill in the application on the spot). You need to:
    • have an identity document;
    • know personal account details to which the compensation will be paid.
  • A person who has the right to receive a benefit payout.
  • An authorized person.
  • A guardian, in case the person is acknowledged as incapable in the respective area.
  • A spouse of the person.
  • Close relatives:
    • Straight line relatives up to the second degree (inclusive) (parents and children, grandparents and grandchildren).
    • Side line second degree relatives (brothers and sisters).
  • Social service institution employees.

You should inform “Sodra” of the following circumstances no later than in 10 days:

  1. Grant of the pension (pension benefit) by another institution or state.
  2. Receipt of income related to employment relationship in a foreign country or becoming a self-employed person in a foreign country.
  3. Imposition of a coercive measure, i.e. detention.
  4. Service of a custodial sentence in the correctional facilities executing custodial penalties (except for open colonies and special units of correctional facilities or remand custody facilities (halfway houses)).
  5. Imposition of compulsory medical treatment in in-patient observation under the conditions of a general, enhanced or strict observation at specialised mental health care establishments.
  6. Leaving to another country for living.
  7. Expiry of guardianship/relieving or removal of the guardian from the guardian’s duties (if the social assistance retirement pension is paid to the representative).


  Failure to report circumstances, having effect on the size and payment of your pensions, will result in collecting the over-paid pension sum from you according to the order, provided for in laws.

  • Social assistance compensations are granted and paid when a person reaches the age which is five years lower than the retirement pension age or who are recognised as having lost 60 or more per cent of the capacity for work.
  • Social assistance compensations are paid till the recipients become entitled to the social assistance retirement pension or social assistance disability pension. If the recipient of the social assistance compensation does not become entitled to any of the afore-mentioned pensions or pension benefits, except for the social insurance survivor’s pension), the social assistance compensation is paid to him as long as he is recognised as having lost 60 or more per cent of the capacity for work (having reached the retirement pension age – for life).
  • For the same person nursed at home, social assistance compensation shall be granted and paid only to one of the parents (adoptive parents). If a person nurses several persons at home, only one social assistance compensation shall be granted and paid.
  • At the choice of the person who at the same time are entitled to several social assistance compensations, one of the social assistance compensations is granted and paid.

A recipient of a pension can receive the pension certificate by coming to a “Sodra” department, or it can be sent by mail.


A recipient of pension can provide a request to receive a pension certificate by:


When coming to the department, you will be asked to provide the following:

  1. A passport or any other personal identification document;
  2. A picture, complying with personal document requirements, on a digital information carrier (the requirements for the picture are provided in the booklet below and certificate issue rules) or “Sodra” can use your photo from the Resident’s register service (in case you have received/changed your personal identification document  in 2007 or later);
  3. A request to issue a pension recipient’s certificate.


  A produced certificate is issued or sent to home no later than in 20 business day from the day the decision to appoint a pension has been made. When the certificate is changed, it is issued no later than in 20 business days from the provision of the request at a “Sodra” department.

  In case you will be issued with a pension recipient’s certificate as a recipient of a pension benefit, you will not be issued with another certificate if you receive a benefit old age pension.

Update date: 2021-12-22
Is the information useful?

Can not find what you are looking for? Choose the most suitable option for getting information.