A child maintenance benefit is a child benefit paid from state funds where the child does not receive all or part of the maintenance awarded to one of the parents or both parents.
The child has the right to receive the benefit if:
- He does not receive the maintenance or part of maintenance established in accordance with the decision of the court or with the Child’s (children’s) Maintenance Contract confirmed by the court imposed on one or both parents of the child for more than a month.
- He is a citizen of the Republic of Lithuania, a stateless person or a foreigner permanently residing in the Republic of Lithuania.
- He under the age of 18.
- Or he is an unemployed over 18 years of age who became disabled before turning 18 years of age.
Important! When applying for and deciding on the award of the benefit both the child and the adult who receives the child benefit must have declared their place of residence in Lithuania.
Appointment, payment and recovery of child maintenance benefits are administered by the "Sodra" after 1 January 2018.
You have the right to apply for a benefit if you are:
- One of the parents with whom the child's place of residence is determined by a court decision or by a parent agreement.
- Child's guardian (caretaker).
The father (mother), guardian (curator) who applies for the grant of a child maintenance benefit must be citizens of the Republic of Lithuania, stateless persons or foreigners permanently resident in the Republic of Lithuania.
Data on the place of residence of the father (mother), stateless guardian (curator) or foreigner must be entered in the Population Register of the Republic of Lithuania.
A person can apply for grant of the child maintenance benefit when the child does not receive the maintenance or part of maintenance established in accordance with the decision of the court nor with the Child’s (children’s) Maintenance Contract confirmed by the court for more than a month.
- A valid identity document (passport, identity card) or a permit of a long-term resident of the Republic of Lithuania to reside in the European Community
- An application to grant the child maintenance benefit.
The application can be submitted:
- In your personal "Sodra" account for an inhabitant.
- In any "Sodra" department.
- By post. The application must be sent to the "Sodra" department in Klaipėda, Vasario 16th. str. 4, LT-89225 Mažeikiai.
Important! When you apply for granting a benefit for several children, a separate application must be submitted for each child.
- A court decision or a child maintenance agreement approved by the court, where the amount of child support is specified.
- A court decision on the appointment of a guardian (curator) of a child.
- The order of the director of the municipality administration or the decision of the mayor regarding the appointment of a guardian (curator) of a child.
The documents referred to in a paragraph 2 or 3 must be submitted when the guardian (curator) of the child applies for the grant of the benefit.
Failure to submit the documents referred to in points 1 to 3 within 1 month from the registration date of the application, the application will not be considered. When applying repeatedly, the child maintenance benefit is granted and paid from the first day of the month of the re-application.
- Documents proving the fact of birth of a child (will have to be submitted only if the data on the child is not available in the Population Register at the time of submission of the application).
- Certificate of the level of work capacity issued by the Disability and Working Capacity Assessment Office, if the child is over 18 and became disabled before turning 18 years of age.
- Bailiff's certificate on the payment/ non-payment of funds awarded for maintenance of a child.
- A certificate of deductions issued to the debtor's payer, the debtor's employer, educational institution or other income.
- When the child and/or the applicant with whom the child lives, according to the data of the Population Register, is a non-resident of Lithuania.
- When the child starts to receive all maintenance funds ordered by a court decision or a child maintenance agreement approved by the court.
- When the minor is emancipated.
- When the child has reached the age of majority.
- When the child is adopted.
- When the child died.
- When the applicant submits an application for termination of payment of benefits.
- When the parental authority is restricted for the applicant or the guardian (curator) is dismissed or suspended from the duties of the guardian (curator) or where a child has been placed under permanent guardianship (curatorship).
- When the applicant died, he was recognized as unknown or declared dead.
- where a child has been placed under temporary guardianship (curatorship).
- When the debtor has died or is declared dead.
- Upon closure of the account to which the benefits were paid, the applicant did not submit a new account number within the deadline.
- An applicant who has been refused the grant of the benefit or payment of benefits has been terminated shall submit an application for granting the benefit in writing.
- When the applicant died, the other applicant may apply for repeated granting of the benefit by submitting documents proving that there is a legal basis for the payment of child maintenance benefits.
The child maintenance benefit shall not exceed 1.8 Basic Social Benefit for one child per month.
- The child maintenance benefit will be paid for the previous month not earlier than on the 23rd day of each month and not later than on the last day of each month.
- This payment will be paid to the personal account of the applicant or child in a credit, payment or electronic money institution located in Lithuania or abroad.
- A decision whether or not to grant benefits will be adopted not later than within 10 working days from the date of receipt of all documents required in connection with the application for granting a benefit.
Important! If the debtor also pays the child the whole amount or part thereof, or the debtor who has not paid before, starts paying all or part of the amount during the period of the child support allowance payment, no later than 3 working days after the payment of the amount (all or part) by the debtor, Klaipėda department of "Sodra" must be informed about it. It can be done by submitting an application:
- Online, by logging in to the personal "Sodra" account for resident and filling in an Application to receive information (documents) that affects the granting or payment of child support, GPS20;
- By post - the application form can be downloaded here. When sending the application by post, the addressee must be chosen "Sodra" Klaipėda department - Vasario 16-osios str. 4, LT-89225 Mažeikiai;
- By email - [email protected].
What is it?
19 June 2012, the Seimas of the Republic of Lithuania has adopted the Law on the Supplement of the Law on the Implementation of European Union and International Law Ensuring the Civil Procedure of the Republic of Lithuania to Ninth Chapter One and Supplement to the Law on Supplementing the Law No. XI-2081 (hereinafter referred to as the "Law"), which provides for the December 18 Procedures for the implementation of Council Regulation (EC) 4/2009 on jurisdiction, applicable law, recognition and enforcement of decisions and cooperation in matters relating to maintenance obligations (hereinafter referred to as "the Regulation") in Lithuania. This Regulation applies to maintenance obligations arising from family relationships, parental or maternity, marriage or affinity.
In order to facilitate cross-border recovery of maintenance, enforcement of judgments or agreements on maintenance obligations, the information and documents relating to the execution and transmission of information relating to their execution, and also for the purpose of identifying certain details of the debtor (his or her place of residence, place of work, etc.), provides for the active involvement of central authorities designated by all States to which this Regulation applies.
According to the Law, the central authority has the State Guaranteed Legal Assistance Service to carry out the functions specified in the Regulation. Where applications from applicants relate to maintenance obligations of children under 21 years of age arising from the relationship between parents and children, the functions of the central authority referred to in Article 51 of the Regulation shall be performed by the "Sodra" under the Ministry of Social Security and Labour. From 1 April 2018, it is performed the Klaipėda office of the State Social Insurance Fund Board (address: Vasario 16-osios str. 4, LT-89225, Mažeikiai, tel. 8 (443) 26659, fax +370 (443) 27341, e-mail: [email protected]).
What documents should be submitted to the central authority of a Member State of the European Union in order to recover the child maintenance awarded?
- An extract from the judgment / court settlement regarding maintenance obligations where the procedure to be followed for recognition or publication is applicable or not. This extract is completed and issued by the court. The form depends on when the judgment was issued. If the decision is taken by 18.06.2011, please complete Annex II of the Regulation if, after 18/06/2011, the following is added: ANNEX I. After completing the fields in the defined form, the button "translate blanks to" at the end of the page must be pressed and the system will automatically translate the extract to the language of the foreign country where the borrower lives. An extract shall be certified by a court stamp and a signature of the judge. Excerpts must be original for each court decision. The extract from the court must be in the language of the country in which the debtor lives.
- A copy of the certification of the judgement issued by the court (a copy of the judgment must be certified with a court stamp (may be marked as a true copy or a copy. If the court decision is with the translation, please also provide the translation certified by the translation bureau stamp.
- Information about you: name, surname, personal code, marital status, occupation, place of birth, place of residence, telephone, e-mail, bank account number, bank.
- Information about the debtor: name, personal code, marital status, occupation, place of residence, workplace.
- Information on the amount of arrears made up to this date. You can calculate it by indicating separately for how many months you did not receive maintenance, and details of how the maintenance arrears arises, if the maintenance was received, it is necessary to specify the exact date on which it was received and what amount was received. You can provide this information by tabulating the individual periods, amount payable, amount received and debt.
- A copy of your personal document.
- A copy of the child's birth certificate (child's birth record).
- A specified application form. After submitting all the necessary documents and information, the specified standard application form will be filled in by Klaipėda office of the State Social Insurance Fund Board.
We like to remind you that from 1st January 2021 The United Kingdom has withdrawn from the European Union.
Please note that the date of the judgment is relevant for the submission of documents concerning the recovery of a child maintenance debt from a debtor resident in the United Kingdom:
- If the court decision on the maintenance of the child is made before 31st December 2020 documents must be submitted in accordance with the same requirements as when applying to the central authority of a Member State of the European Union, i.e. Annex I or Annex II of Regulation 4/2009 is required.
- If the court decision on the award of child support was made on 1st January 2021 and later, then the annexes to Regulation 4/2009 are not required.
What documents should be submitted when applying to the central authority of a Member State other than the European Union for the recovery of child maintenance?
- a certified copy of the judgment (a copy of the judgment must be stamped (may be marked "true copy" or "transcript") If the judgment is accompanied by a translation, a translation certified by the translation agency is requested;
- where a court decision has been rendered in the absence of the debtor, a court certificate or documents on service of court documents and court decision to the debtor shall be required;
- information about the applicant: name, surname, personal number, family status, profession, place of birth, place of residence, telephone, e-mail address, bank account number, bank name;
- information about the debtor: name, surname, personal number, family status, profession, place of residence, place of employment;
- information on the amount of arrears incurred to this day. You can calculate this by specifying separately for which months you have not received maintenance and specifying in detail how the maintenance arrears arose if the maintenance received is to indicate exactly the date on which it was received and the amount received. You can provide this information with a table showing the periods separately, the amount to be paid, the amount received and the debt;
- a copy of the applicant's personal document;
- a copy of the child's birth certificate (the child's birth record);
- marriage/divorce certificate. This is a necessary document where the applicant's name differs from that indicated in the application, judgment or birth certificate of the child.
If the debtor is resident outside the European Union (UK, USA, Ukraine, Turkey, Norway, Kazakhstan, Brazil, Albania, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Belarus (no court extract (ANNEX1 and ANNEX2 is needed).
Where to submit documents?
You can submit the documents by registered post (Vasario 16-osios str. 4, LT-89225, Mažeikiai), or upon arrival at any "Sodra" departments.
Attention! We would like to draw your attention to the fact that applicants applying under the Regulation must be permanent residents of the Republic of Lithuania.
- If the applicant received a child support allowance illegally (having applied for the benefit, indicated false data, did not report money, paid by the debtor to the child, etc.) during the period of receiving the benefit, the applicant must return it.
- If the applicant cannot return the entire amount of the unlawfully received child support allowance immediately, it can be returned in parts in a period, not exceeding 12 months.
- If the applicant does not return an unlawfully received child support allowance, it will be recovered in accordance with the methods of compulsory collection of state social insurance payments, established by the law on state social insurance, or in a court of law.
Responsibility for the non-payment of child maintenance by a court decision to order their child(ren)
What documents must I provide in order to pay the maintenance (debt, overpayment) in installments?
- A valid identity document (passport, identity card) or a long-term residence permit of the Republic of Lithuania to reside in the European Union.
- Application for payment of child maintenance benefits in instalments (lithuanian).
You can submit a request:
- In personal “Sodra” account for resident, choosing free form application and attaching an Application for payment of child maintenance benefits in instalments (lithuanian). You have to select the “Sodros” Klaipėda department as the addressee.
- At any department of “Sodra”. You need to have an identity document with you, e.g. passport, identity card.
- By post. The filled application must be sent to the Klaipėda department of “Sodra”, at February 16 th osios str. 4, LT-89225 Mažeikiai. The request can be found here (lithuanian).
If you have enforced (are enforcing) the court decision and paid (are paying) child support funds to your child, please provide documents confirming payment (bank statement, certificate from the bailiff/employer, etc.) in the following ways:
- In personal “Sodra” account for resident, attaching free form application and documents confirming payment. You have to select the “Sodros” Klaipėda department as the addressee;
- Any department of “Sodra”;
- By post. Documents must be sent to the Klaipėda department of “Sodra”, at February 16 th osios str. 4, LT-89225 Mažeikiai.