- Whenever one or both parents (foster parents) die, the children who were left orphaned can be appointed with a benefit orphan’s pension.
- A request to appoint a benefit orphan’s pension can be provided over the internet, by connecting to your personal “Sodra” citizen’s account or by coming to a “Sodra” department.
- A decision regarding the appointment of an orphan’s pension will be accepted no later than in 10 business days from the receipt of a request with all needed documents.
- Benefit orphan’s pension is paid on a monthly basis for the past month.
Children who were orphaned can address “Sodra” regarding the appointment of a benefit orphan’s pension in case one or both of their parents (foster-parents) dies.
Benefit orphan’s pension can be appointed from the moment, a child received a right for it. In case “Sodra” was approached later, the pension will be paid in reverse order, but for a period of no longer than 6 months prior to the provision of a request with all documents.
The right to receive a social assistance pension shall belong to the following children (adopted children) of a deceased person or a person declared dead in the manner prescribed by law:
- those aged under 18;
- those aged 18 and over who are pupils studying according to the general education curriculum or the formal vocational training programme at educational institutions registered in the prescribed manner as well as who are students studying according to full-time study programmes or study programmes of a continual form at educational institutions registered in the prescribed manner, until the end of studying or completion of studies according to these programmes (except pupils of the general education curriculum who are entitled to the orphan's social assistance pension until 31 August of the year in which they finish studying according to these programmes), but not longer than until they reach the age of 24 years;
- those aged 18 who were recognised as having lost 45 or more per cent of the capacity for work (as invalids prior to 1 July 2005) before the day (inclusive) they reached age 24, persons who, because of the effects of a sickness or injury suffered before the age of 24, have been recognised as persons who have lost 45 or more per cent of the capacity for work (as invalids prior to 1 July 2005) after they reached the age of 24, but not later than before the day (inclusive) they reach the age 26, if since the day they were recognised as the persons who have lost 24 and more per cent of the capacity for work (invalids).
From 2022, the social assistance orphan's pension is granted and paid regardless of the fact that the person receives a social insurance lost work capacity (invalidity) or old-age pension (regardless of their amount).
- Application for social assistance orphan’s pension.
- Documents listed in paragraph 4 of the Regulations Concerning Granting and Payment of Social Assistance Benefits (in Lithuanian).
If an application is submitted by an authorised person, guardian, custodian, close relative of the person entitled to the social assistance benefit or an employee of the social service institution, the document evidencing, as appropriate, the authorisation, establishment of the guardianship or custody and appointment of a person as a guardian or custodian, entering into of a marriage, family relationship or the fact of work in the social service institution as well as the identity document of the authorised person, guardian, custodian, spouse, close relative or employee of the social service institution or copies of such documents.
An application (in Lithuanian) for a social assistance benefit can be submitted:
- Online, by logging in to the personal "Sodra" account for the resident and filling in the application for social assistance benefit (in Lithuanian).
- By mail. The application must be accompanied by a copy of an identity document certified in accordance with the procedure established by legal acts.
- Upon arrival at the "Sodra" branch (you can fill in the application on the spot). You need to:
- have an identity document;
- know personal account details to which the pension will be paid.
For underage persons
For adult persons
The amount of the social assistance orphan’s pension is 0.5 basic social assistance pension:
- 1 BSAP – EUR 150;
- 0.5 BSAP – EUR 75 to each child.
When 4 or more children (adopted children) of a deceased person have the right to receive the social assistance orphan’s pension, the orphan’s social assistance pension in the amount equal to 1.5 basic pensions (EUR 225) is be granted and paid in equal shares to all children (adopted children) of the deceased person.
Your pension will be appointed to you no later than in 10 working days from the receipt of the request and all needed documents.
Benefit orphan’s pension is paid for the last month.
Benefit orphan’s pension can be:
- Transferred to a personal account.
- Delivered to home on 10-26th day of each month, if:
- You have received your 2018 December pension at home.
- You have lost 75-100% of your working capacity or you are determined with special constant nursing needs, special constant supervision (help) needs, special transportation expense compensation needs or high special needs level.
- You live in areas where there is no possibility to cash-out money.
- Collected at a post department on 10-26th days of each month, when:
- There is no possibility to cash-out the payout from your personal account.
- You comply with the requirements to receive the payout at home.
Benefit orphan’s pension can be received by the deceased children:
- Up to the age of 18 (for pensions appointed from 1 January 2018),
- Up to the day a person becomes 24 years old (inclusive) or the work capacity period day (inclusive), if this pension is applied to an orphan aged 18 or more, studying in an educational institution or if he was acknowledged as incapable or partially capable to work.
In case circumstances appear after the appointment of the benefit orphan’s pension and prior to its appointment term, due to which the payment of the pension should be stopped/terminated (the orphan terminated his studies, etc.), the benefit orphan’s pension payment is stopped from the first day of the month after the appearance of such circumstances.
You should report to “Sodra” no longer than in 10 days regarding the following:
- Change of studies type (form) or change of professional education program, study/training completion or termination (if the orphan is studying/learning in a foreign country).
- Appointment of pension (pension-type payout) in another institution or state.
- Being provided with housing in a social care or educational facility (for persons up to 18 years of age).
- Appointment of detention as a remand measure.
- Serving imprisonment in penitentiary institutions with imprisonment functions (with the exception of open colonies and penitentiary institutions or remand measure institution’s special departments (halfway houses)).
- In case forced medical measure stationary patient monitoring under general, strengthened or strict supervision conditions is appointed.
- In case specialized mental health monitoring institution care is appointed or special educational measures are applied, when the orphan is moved to a special educational institution.
- A court ruling enters legal force regarding the conviction for committing an intentional crime against the deceased, for whose death the benefit orphan’s pension is appointed and paid.
Failure to report circumstances, having effect on the size and payment of your pensions, will result in collecting the over-paid pension sum from you according to the order, provided for in laws.