- Contact your employer for being granted paternity leave.
- Submit an application to "Sodra" if you have been granted paternity leave and wish to receive a paternity benefit. This can be done online, by post or by visiting the "Sodra" department in person.
Not later than within 12 months after the end of the period of paternity leave.
The paternity benefit is entitled to you if:
- You are insured under maternity social insurance:
- you are employed under employment contracts;
- you work in the civil service;
- you work under copyright contracts or contracts on the activity of sports or performers;
- you perform individual activities under an individual activity certificate;
- you perform individual agricultural activities;
- you are an owner of a sole proprietor company;
- you are a partner of a small partnership, general partnership or limited partnership;
- you are a member of a family-type child care organisation;
- you are a soldier of the compulsory initial military service or perform an alternative national defence service;
- you are a serviceman in professional military service of the national defence system, also a volunteer soldier;
- you are not employed, but you are a spouse of a civil servant and live abroad where he has been transferred to a post at a diplomatic mission, consular post of the Republic of Lithuania;
- you are a spouse of a serviceman in professional military service and live abroad where he has been transferred to a post at a mission of the Republic of Lithuania at an international organisation;
- you are a spouse a delegated person and live abroad where he has been transferred to a post at a diplomatic mission, consular post of the Republic of Lithuania;
- you are a spouse of the President of the Republic of Lithuania.
Persons who work under the individual activity certificate, are engaged in individual agricultural activities, are members of a family-type child care organisation, owners of individual companies, partners of small, general or limited partnerships are considered insured if they have paid maternity social insurance contributions for the last period specified in the Law on State Social Insurance and from 01-02-2021 - for the calendar month preceding the month in which entitlement to sickness benefit arises or for the current month if in the previous month you were temporarily incapacitated for work or received sickness, profesional rehabilitation, maternity, paternity or childcare benefits or entitlement to sickness benefit arose in the month of commencement of activity. For self-employed persons who have acquired the right to maternity benefit, this benefit is paid regardless of income.
- The employer grants paternity leave at any time until the child reaches the age of one year. This leave may also be granted for children born before 31 December 2021, provided that since the date of birth of the child (born before 31 December 2021) has not passed one year and the parents have not taken parental leave.
The employer grants paternity leave within 3 months from the date of the entry into force of the court decision on the adoption (in the case of urgent enforcement, within 3 months from the date on which the decision is enforced). Upon the adoption of two or more children, this leave is granted within 6 months from the date of the entry into force of the court decision on the adoption (in the case of urgent enforcement - within 6 months from the date of enforcement of the decision).
- Before the first day of the paternity leave you have the maternity social insurance record of not less than 12 months during the last 24 months.
- If you do not have the obligatory social insurance record due to the fact that:
- during the last two years you have performed professional military service, you have been a volunteer soldier, a soldier of an active or prepared reserve and a break from the change of status does not exceed 3 months;
- during the last two years a woman was a soldier of a compulsory military service or an alternative national defence service, and the break from the change of status does not exceed 3 months;
- because you had been on child care leave before, i.e. the employer granted child care leave for the child who was born before. In such a case, the maternity social insurance period is calculated from the period of 24 months before the child reaches 2 years of age.
An application for granting the paternity benefit.
This applications can be submitted:
- Online through a personal "Sodra" account for an inhabitant and choosing an application for granting the paternity benefit, GPS3.
- By post. An application form can be download here. When sending an application by post, a copy of the identity document approved in accordance with the law (for example notary) must be attached.
- Upon arrival at the "Sodra" department, the application will be completed and submitted to you to sign by the employee. You need to have:
- An identity document, such as a passport, identity card.
- It is also needed to know the details of the personal account to which the benefit will be paid.
If you have not acquired the required length of service to receive parental benefit while working in Lithuania, but have worked and / or been insured abroad in the last 24 months, additionally submit an application to mediate in obtaining data on periods of employment and / or insurance acquired abroad. You can submit this application:
- By internet, by connecting to your personal citizen’s “Sodra” account and choosing an application to mediate in obtaining data on periods of employment and / or insurance acquired abroad, GPS12 (in Lithuanian).
- By mail. An application you can download here. When sending a request by post, a copy of the identity document approved in accordance with the law must be attached (i.e. notary approved copy).
- Upon arrival at the “Sodra” department, the application will be filled out and submitted for you by the employee. You need to have the following with yourself:
- Personal identification document (passport, personal identification card, a Lithuanian residence permit);
- Social security number (or personal identification number) given in the foreign country where you worked;
- Name (s) and period (s) of employment of the foreign employer (s).
- A copy of the order on the granting of paternity leave, if the employer has not provided such data to the "Sodra".
- An employer's certificate on the amount of the insured income, if you have insured income during the period of paternity leave or you are paid a compensation or incentive lump sums related to employment relationships. The employer may submit this certificate by logging into his personal "Sodra" account for an insurer where the recommended certificate form is presented.
- A document justifying the completion of work if you receive insured or other work income, which is not an insured income, during the period of paternity leave for work performed before the first day of such leave, for example, a document of transfer-acceptance of the work performed, a copyright contract or other document justifying the end of the work.
- Documents confirming the amount of income received and the period for which it was calculated if you receive income from work activity that is not insured income during a paternity leave, such as a salary received abroad from an international or European Union institution or foreign authority, certificate, etc.
- The paternity benefit makes 77.58 percent of the compensated recipient’s wages. This size is calculated according to the personal insurable income received in 12 consecutive calendar months until the calendar month preceding the month when the right to paternity benefit appeared.
- If you receive insurable or other work-related income, sick payments during the paternity leave and the size of such income is smaller than the allocated paternity benefit, the difference between the paternity benefit and the income you receive will be paid to you.
- The maximal compensated wages used for calculation of paternity benefits cannot exceed the amount of two domestic average monthly wages valid for the last quarter before the right to paternity benefit appeared:
Average wages in the national economy
(including individual companies) (gross), EUR
If a person has acquired the right to paternity benefit since 1 March 2023, the maximum earnings for the calculation of the parental benefit shall be applied to the assessment of the average wage levels of the third quarters of 2022 (EUR 1,787.10 x 2).
If a person has acquired the right to paternity benefit since 1 April 2023, the maximum earnings for the calculation of the parental benefit shall be applied to the assessment of the average wage levels of the fourth quarters of 2022 (EUR 1887,80 x 2).
IMPORTANT! The amount of the paternity benefit for self-employed persons will no longer be reduced if the person will have an income from self-employment during the period of receipt of the benefit. However, as before, the amount of the benefit will be reduced if the person has income under an employment (service) contract or legal relationship equivalent to employment relationships. When paying a paternity benefit, no account shall be taken of the amounts of state insurance of a person having the status of an artist.
Minimum amounts of benefit if you acquire right to the paternity benefit in:
- Monthly - €294*.
- Daily- €14,07.
* 6 basic social insurance benefits valid for the last quarter before the right to paternity benefit appeared.
|Paternity benefit rates
|Maximum benefit, Eur
- The paternity benefit will be paid to the personal account specified in the application.
- The decision on granting the paternity benefit must be appointed not later than within 10 working days from the date of receipt of the application with all the necessary documents and data in the "Sodra" department.
- The benefit is paid within 7 working days from the date of adoption of the decision.
- The paternity benefit is paid for the period of paternity leave (no longer than 30 calendar days).
- The paternity leave is granted at any time from the birth of a child until the child reaches one year.
- The paternity benefit is paid for working days (a week of 5 working days is applied). It is paid in a lump sum, within 5 working days, from the end of the paternity leave.